Each Pokémon species has a fixed number of Stamina, Attack and Defense. In addition to these base values, each Pokémon has an IV that add to his total of each stat.
IV give a bonus between 0 and 15 points. They are randomly determined when a Pokémon is born.
Pikachu's base stats are :
- 70 Stamina
- 124 Attack
- 108 Defense
- +3 Stamina
- +8 Attack
- +15 Defense
- 70 + 3 = 73 Stamina
- 124 + 8 = 132 Attack
- 108 + 15 = 123 Defense
- +12 Stamina
- +0 Attack
- +5 Defense
- 70 + 12 = 82 Stamina
- 124 + 0 = 124 Attack
- 108 + 5 = 113 Defense
- Even though IVs are hidden, it is possible to determine a Pokémons's IV with a calculator. These calculators estimate the several possible combinations of IV from the stats of a Pokémon.
- Ideally, a Pokémon's IV are all equal to 15 (the maximum). A Pokémon with these IVs has got perfect IV (100% IV).
- IV do not change when a Pokémon evolves.
- When a Pokémon appears, it's IV are already determined. If several players catch it, they will all have a Pokémon with the same IV, even though they might not have the same CP.
- In most cases, the moveset is more important than the IV, because the moveset influences much more the damage dealt by a Pokémon.
- Pokémon born from eggs usually have better IVs than the other Pokémons.